Networking site for book lovers plans social commerce play
ANobii, the social networking site for reading enthusiasts, is launching a fully transactional service later this year, which will sell print and digital books.
ANobii: to launch as fully transactional service
The service, which has an undisclosed user base across 20 countries, currently only allows users to discover and share books, and click through to other sites to make purchases.
It also has also built iPhone and Android apps featuring barcode scanners, which can crowd-source reviews of the book.
The new ecommerce platform will be a cloud-based system powered by digital technology company 7digital.
Originally set up in 2006, aNobii was acquired by UK startup Z, towards the end of 2010, which then took on its name.
The new venture has secured backing from investors led by HMV Group. HarperCollins and The Random House Group are also supporting the company.
Matteo Berlucchi, aNobii chief executive, said it was "unlikely" that the site will use display adverting to drive future revenue, but was not ruling it out completely.
The venture is the latest to make a play into the growing area of social commerce, which combines the transactional elements of online retail with social networking features such as sharing.
Earlier this year (19 January,) Asos, the online fashion retailer, became the first brand to launch a fully transactional Facebook store in the UK.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London
- Senior Brand Strategist Rare Selection £75K - £100K, Central London