McDonald's to put calorie-count on menus
McDonald's 1,200 UK outlets will display calorie information on menu boards from September, as the fast food chain signs up to the Government's "responsibility deal".
McDonald’s: will be displaying calorie information on its menus
The fast food company made the announcement today (15 March), mirroring a similar announcement from Yum!-owned Pizza Hut and KFC, as fast food companies back the Government’s move to crack down on obesity by disclosing calorie content at the "point of purchase".
McDonald’s currently displays calorie information on its packaging and trayliners, which will be updated to match the calorie information on its menu boards.
From September, the boards will inform its customers that a Big Mac contains 490 calories, as does a quarter pounder with cheese.
A small McDonald’s milkshake contains 220 calories, while four chicken McNuggets contain 170 calories.
McDonald’s said the move followed internal research, which found that eight in 10 customers believe all companies should display "simple, visible, calorie information."
The Government's responsibility deal has been backed by more than 170 companies, including Diageo and Tesco.
As previously reported by Marketing, Subway and Pizza Express have decided not to join the initiative to display calorie information.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Digital Planner- Charity brands Dynamic New Alliances £55000.00 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Brand Marketing Manager Brand Recruitment £40000 - £50000 per annum, Suffolk
- Account Director - RTB Accord Group Limited c. £40,000 per annum, Central London WC1A 1DG
- Senior Account Manager Twist Recruitment £35000.00 - £45000.00 per annum + Super Benefits!, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Designer - Marketing and Communications Brand Recruitment £25000 - £30000 per annum, Buckinghamshire