McDonald's to put calorie-count on menus
McDonald's 1,200 UK outlets will display calorie information on menu boards from September, as the fast food chain signs up to the Government's "responsibility deal".
McDonald’s: will be displaying calorie information on its menus
The fast food company made the announcement today (15 March), mirroring a similar announcement from Yum!-owned Pizza Hut and KFC, as fast food companies back the Government’s move to crack down on obesity by disclosing calorie content at the "point of purchase".
McDonald’s currently displays calorie information on its packaging and trayliners, which will be updated to match the calorie information on its menu boards.
From September, the boards will inform its customers that a Big Mac contains 490 calories, as does a quarter pounder with cheese.
A small McDonald’s milkshake contains 220 calories, while four chicken McNuggets contain 170 calories.
McDonald’s said the move followed internal research, which found that eight in 10 customers believe all companies should display "simple, visible, calorie information."
The Government's responsibility deal has been backed by more than 170 companies, including Diageo and Tesco.
As previously reported by Marketing, Subway and Pizza Express have decided not to join the initiative to display calorie information.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london