COI to be replaced by Government Communications Centre
The Government has been advised to replace the COI, its 65-year-old ad body, with a Government Communications Centre, as part of sweeping changes to the structure of public sector marketing.
COI: advertising body is set to be replaced
Outgoing permanent secretary Matt Tee has recommended scrapping the Central Office of Information (COI) today (18 March) in favour of a centralised unit composed of government marketers from the department.
The plan outlined in the report will see around 1,000 jobs slashed, a reduction which will save an estimated £50m per year.
There will not, however, be a US Ad Council as the report concluded this was not "workable, nor desirable".
But a "common good communications council" of agencies, media owners and voluntary organisations has been mooted.
The report said: "There is significant potential to ask agencies, media owners, government and voluntary and community organisations to work together for free or near free on campaigns for the common good."
Payment by results, a move unpopular with agencies, has also been proposed by Tee.
Additionally, three people will be appointed with "experience of and high credibility in the communications industries’ to form a new ‘Government Communication Oversight Panel'".
Francis Maude, minister for the Cabinet Office, said: "I am grateful to Matt for the work that has gone into this report. I will discuss the recommendations with ministerial colleagues and the government will publish a full response in due course."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Senior Account Manager - Brand Creation/Identity/Packaging Kate Marsh Recruitment up to £40K, East London/Shoreditch