YouTube nabs a fifth of all UK social traffic
YouTube was the fastest-growing social network for the second consecutive month in April, while Facebook lost share for the second time, according to figures from digital intelligence service Experian Hitwise.
YouTube: fastest-growing social network in April
In April, Google-owned YouTube increased its market share of UK internet visits to social networks and forums to 20.03%, up from 19.06% in March this year and 16.92% in April 2010.
Although Facebook’s share of visits to social networks declined, and dropped below 55% for the first time since August 2010, it still remains by far the largest of any site in the sector, with a share of 53.80%.
Behind YouTube in third place was Twitter, with a share of 2.89%, up from 2.63% in March and 2.18% in April 2010. MySpace dropped to ninth place behind children’s gaming site Moshi Monsters.
Robin Goad, research director at Experian Hitwise, said: "The social media landscape is constantly evolving, so it is important to get a heads-up on which social networks are growing and which are shrinking, as this can have a massive impact on the success of online marketing campaigns."
Elsewhere, there was more success for Google, as it was the only major search site to increase its share of searches month on month in April, and continues to lead the pack with more than nine out every 10 searches in the UK.
Google sites accounted for a whopping 90.84% of searches in April, up from 90.02% in March, but down from a share of 91.88% in April 2010.
Online competitive intelligence service Experian Hitwise provides monthly figures on the market share of social networks and forums and search engines.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- UK Sales Director - digital ad tech platform Ultimate Asset £60000 - £70000 per annum + +100%, London