Legal Aid campaign offers free cab rides to Londoners
Sound Off For Justice, the Law Society's campaign against the proposed changes to Legal Aid, is offering Londoners free rides in black cabs equipped with iPhones and iPads, which passengers can use to comment on the cuts.
Sound Off For Justice: kicks off campaign
From today, for five days, three taxis will be wrapped with the Sound Off For Justice logo – Lady Justice armed with a megaphone.
Passengers catching a ride can use the cabs’ Apple 3G iPad and iPhone 4 to sign the campaign’s online petition or leave a voicemail.
In what a spokesman for the campaign called a "unique protest" the voicemails will be sent to justice secretary Ken Clarke, asking him to rethink the changes.
The cabs are decorated with the campaign's red, black and white colours, and signage that asks "will you be silenced by cuts to legal aid?".
The campaign and the creative were designed by Unity, the integrated PR agency. Taxi space was booked through Transport Media.
Linda Lee, president of solicitors body The Law Society, said: "The government’s plans to remove Legal Aid will leave people from all walks of life without access to justice. The Ministry of Justice estimate that 70,000 Londoners alone will be excluded.
"The taxis are a great way of allowing members of the public to join our campaign and to express their views on the planned cuts. Many people have told me of the difference that legal aid made to their lives and I hope they will share their experiences."
Under the proposed cuts to Legal Aid cases involving clinical negligence, family law, education, non-asylum immigration and housing will not be entitled to Legal Aid which The Law Society believes is ill-conceived and unfair.
The Sound Off For Justice campaign is supported by a number of public figures including socialite and campaigner Jemima Khan, national treasure and actress Joanna Lumley and human rights barrister Michael Mansfield QC.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Global Business Development Manager - Top international Company! ADLIB Up to £70k DOE, Bath