Ford and Xbox top Champions League social media mentions
Ford, Xbox and Heineken were the most talked about advertisers in social media during the Uefa Champions League Final, according to social media monitoring company Brandwatch.
Gears of War 3: X Box trailer attracts viewers' attention
Ford, which used the final to roll out its adapted global Focus ad, attracted the most social media buzz with 499 mentions during the final across social media platforms including Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.
The numbers only include those mentions by users who have adopted public settings on their profile.
Ford was closely followed by Xbox, which debuted an ad for its game ‘Gears of War 3’, with 486 mentions and Heineken, official sponsor of Uefa, screening its recent ad ‘The Entrance’, with 480 mentions.
Other advertisers referenced across social media during the final include BMW with 329 mentions, Sony Ericsson with 164 mentions and McDonald’s with 96.
Lynx, the Unilever-owned men's toiletries brand, which rolled out an ad for ‘Dry Full Control’, a 48-hour anti-perspirant deodorant, received only 19 mentions.
The number of overall mentions of the Champions League final itself totalled 408,000, with the majority – 242,805 – on Twitter.
There were 6,581 mentions of the final on Facebook, followed by 641 on uniquewarez.com, 624 on answers.yahoo.com, 542 on sports.yahoo.com and 414 on YouTube.
Giles Palmer, chief executive of Brandwatch, said: "When it comes to football, the social media response is always massive but fans tend to stick to chat surrounding the game. They can be drawn into discussions over adverts and sponsors, but usually as a chance to take aim at a rival team."
It is estimated that ITV made in excess of £8m in TV ad revenue during Europe's biggest football night of the year, as some late spots in key breaks went for up to £300,000 for 30 seconds.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Digital Project Managers and Campaign Project Managers £25,000- £70,0000 Nakama Between £25,000 and £70,000 depending on role, London