Appointment to view: King of Shaves vs Gillette
The UK is a big fan of championing the underdog. We love to see a big fish taken on by relatively small fry, and that is exactly what King of Shaves is doing with P&G giant Gillette with its tennis-themed viral.
'The King of Serves' by King of Shaves
With roughly 80% of a £400m-a-year UK market, Gillette is a global force to be reckoned with. P&G is the UK’s biggest advertising spender, splashing out an annual £203.9m [Source: Marketing’s Top 100 Advertisers 2011].
King of Shaves, in comparison, takes its brand message to the masses largely through social media. Its YouTube channel has racked up 222,835 video views and brand founder Will King has 4,356 followers on Twitter. All without the help of a celebrity backed ad campaign.
The latest YouTube offering from King of Shaves is right on brand message. It timely taps into Wimbledon fever and has a humorous tongue in cheek dig at its big fish rival.
The viral has had 2,845 views since it was posted on Wednesday (at time of publishing). Gillette’s Roger Federer ‘world’s biggest shave’ viral has racked up 208,010 views worldwide since it was posted on 18 June, by comparison. Those are the figures the backing of a world renowned tennis player will buy you.
Entrepreneur Will King has been backing up his viral with regular tennis themed tweets, including the offer of a year’s free supply of shaving supplies to British tennis favourite Andy Murray, after the player joked that he would have shaved had he known Prince William and Princess Catherine would be watching him compete
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Comms Account Manager- HUGE travel client £37K Ultimate Asset £35000 - £37000 per annum, City of London
- Junior Packaging Designer - Global Design + Innovation Agency Gabriele Skelton £19000 per annum, London
- Comms Account Manager -TV and Entertainment - £35K Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum, London