Google bolsters daily deals offering with Dealmap acquisition
Google has acquired the daily offers startup, Dealmap, for an undisclosed sum, as it looks to grow its share in the location-based deals marketplace.
Dealmap: bought by Google
The acquisition will help Google bolster its location-based daily deals service Google Offers, which launched in the US in May.
It follows Google's attempt to buy online group buying service Groupon for a reported $6bn, towards the end of last year.
Dealmap, which launched in the US in May last year, aggregates daily group buying sites and claims to have more than two million users across its web, mobile, social network and email products.
It has distribution deals with partners including Microsoft Bing, T-Mobile and Local.com, which will be unaffected by the deal.
Dealmap wrote in a blog post yesterday that Google provides "the ideal platform" to accelerate its growth. It said: "We believe that joining Google will help us innovate in new and unexplored areas of commerce."
Facebook is also eyeing up daily deals as a key area for the business and is currently trialling an online voucher service which allows users to purchase items with Facebook Credits in the US.
Neither Google Offers nor Facebook Deals as yet offer group buying serivces such as those offered by Groupon and LivingSocial.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Digital Senior Sales Manager - Leading Ad Tech Business Ultimate Asset £40000 - £50000 per annum + 100% COMMISSION , London