ASA survey suggests compliance with online marketing rules
The vast majority of 120 websites surveyed by the Advertising Standards Authority adhered to its extended advertising code before it was introduced, according to the self-regulatory body.
Online browsing: majority of sites are adhering to ASA rules
On 1 March, the ASA extended the remit of its advertising code of conduct (Cap Code) to cover companies' non-paid marketing online, such as advertising on their own sites and social network spaces.
In the two months prior to this date, the ASA monitored 120 websites belonging to a broad sweep of large, medium and small businesses in eight sectors including entertainment, media, leisure, travel, retail and education.
The ASA did not disclose the identity of individual sites monitored, but found six of them contained marketing communications that were in breach of the Cap, amounting to a compliance rate of 95%.
It found 22 of the 600 pages assessed included marketing communication that was clearly in breach of the Cap Code – a compliance rate of 96.3%.
Four of the six websites that included a breach of the Cap Code came from the entertainment, media and leisure sector, and all four related to the misleading omission of mandatory charges (eg booking charges) from the headline price.
Guy Parker, the chief executive of the ASA, said: "The ASA now expects all advertising online to be legal, decent, honest and truthful.
"That's good for the public and it's good for responsible businesses too. Our survey sets a high bar for future compliance rates.
"In the meantime, we'll continue to tackle advertising that breaks the rules wherever it appears, while doing all we can to help advertisers to comply."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London