AOP to host 'hack day' with Mozilla as part of Summit
The Association of Online Publishers is teaming up with web software creators Mozilla for a 'hack day' event exploring the capabilities of HTML5.
Kate Silverton hosts the AOP Summit 2010
The two-day event runs on 13 and 14 October, as part of its annual AOP Summit, in partnership with Brand Republic, and will be the first time Mozilla has collaborated with a UK trade body.
AOP is inviting developers, designers, and journalists from its member companies to get involved in the event, to explore the future of publishing and to create web software prototypes for publishers to use.
HTML5, used by companies such as Amazon and Google, can create an app-like browser-based experience which avoids the 30% ‘app tax’ which Apple can charge for using its platforms.
Lee Baker, AOP director, said: "There is an increasing requirement for media industry events to be collaborative and practical – with our first hack day, we aim to keep our flagship event of the year, the AOP Summit, ahead of the curve.
"AOP is a nerve-centre for UK media owners, where commercial, editorial and product leaders come together to share knowledge and work collaboratively – with the hack day, we are also directly involving developers, designers and journalists together, and hope the results demonstrate the benefits of our collegiate, cross-industry approach."
The first day of the event will be held at Incisive Media in Broadwick Street in London, before the event is transferred to the AOP summit at the Westminster Bridge Park Plaza.
Speakers from ITV, The Wall Street Journal, Group M, Facebook, Google, Brand Republic owner Haymarket and Mumsnet will be taking part in the event.
Mozilla Foundation executive director, Mark Surman, said: "These events give developers a chance to apply their skills to a new problem space, and enable the organisations that we’re working with to experience the kind of invention, co-creation, and open-web innovation that is at the core of Mozilla’s mission."
For more information visit the AOP website.
Follow Sophie Maden on Twitter @Sophie_Maden.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Lead Graphic Designer (Print, Publishing, Fashion, Lifestyle) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Media Manager- BOUTIQUE agency- £40K! Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Sales Manager- Dynamic Video, digital & Mobile Business Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + amazing commission, London
- Account Director PFJ £40000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Comms Account Manager: £35k Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Client Service Manager - Media Planning and Sponsorship PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London