YouTube enters UK online film rental market
YouTube has launched a movie rental service in the UK, offering more than 1,000 full-length feature films.
YouTube: launches movie rental service in the UK
The library includes 'The Dark Knight' and 'Reservoir Dogs', as well as new releases such as 'Red Riding Hood'.
Banksy documentary 'Exit Through The Gift Shop', for example, costs £2.49 for a 48-hour viewing window.
The Google-owned video site launched the service in the US in May and rolled it out in Canada last month.
Many movie pages also feature YouTube Movie Extras with free behind-the-scenes videos, cast interviews, parodies, clips and remixes from YouTube’s community.
The move comes in the same week that both YouTube and Amazon-owned LoveFilm revealed they would soon be expanding onto the Xbox 360, and as the Competition Commission considers intervening in the market for movie rights for the first subscription pay-TV window.
The commission provisionally ruled in August that Sky's exclusive hold on these rights for all six Hollywood studios contributed to a lack of effective competition, and has consulted on various courses of action.
Follow @danfareyjones on Twitter
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Luxury Designer become £ - Negotiable, London
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London
- Assistant Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £30,000 per annum, London
- Head of Ecommerce and Online Marketing Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £Competitive salary + senior package. , London
- Account Director Dot-Gap £45k, Central London
- Digital Strategist Dot-Gap £50k, Central London