BlackBerry brand takes battering, search data suggests
Four of the five search terms containing the word BlackBerry for the week ending 15 October were related to the global outage of the BlackBerry network, according to data from Experian Hitwise.
BlackBerry under fire from customers and analysts
Millions of global BlackBerry subscribers were denied access to the internet, email and BlackBerry Messenger for three days after a switch failure at a data centre in Slough, resulting in a backlash from consumers and analysts.
Overall visits to the BlackBerry website increased by 66% last week as users desperately sought information on the network failure.
RIM was panned for its slow response to the crisis, resulting in RIM founder Mike Lazaradis making a public economy via YouTube.
In total, some 11% of BlackBerry searches made last week were directly associated with the outage.
Research tracking the user journey suggests the situation was made worse because those who searched for BlackBerry later went on to search for Facebook and Twitter, suggesting the PR disaster was spread to social networks.
BlackBerry maker Research in Motion (RIM) is attempting to placate each customer by giving them $100 worth of apps from the BlackBerry App World for free.
Experian Hitwise bases its data on search terms it receives from partnerships with UK internet service providers.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Senior Account Manager Twist Recruitment £32000.00 - £40000.00 per annum, City of London