Peer recommendations 'improve ad recall'
Consumers are more likely to recall a brand name and engage with an ad's message if it has been recommended to them by their friends online, according to new research commissioned by social video platform Unruly.
Ad recall: Coca-Cola featured in one of four social video campaigns surveyed
The survey, conducted by Decipher Research, aimed to measure the effectiveness of social video advertising.
It surveyed online video viewers aged between 18 and 34, across four social video campaigns from FMCG brands Guinness, Coca-Cola, Unilever’s Cornetto and Energizer Batteries, from July to November 2011.
Across its sample size of 976 respondents, it found that 73% of respondents who viewed a recommended video recalled the brand when prompted, versus 68% of viewers who had gone directly to the video.
It also found a 14% increase in the number of people who enjoyed the video following a recommendation, versus those who had discovered it by browsing.
Sarah Wood, Unruly chief operating officer, said: "Social video is a powerful format for engaging consumers. If a brand creates great video content and makes it easy to share, it will see impressive results across the entire purchase funnel."
The work forms part of a white paper titled "Social Ad Effectiveness: An Unruly Whitepaper".
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Global Brand Manager - Drinks Trace c. £58k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / Surrey / London (South), London (Greater) / London (West)...
- Senior International Agency Sales Manager - Mobile Salt £70000 per annum + strong bonus and great bens, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Research Director - Consumer Tech Trace £80k to £110k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), Londo...
- Head of Marketing The RSA Circa £60,000 per annum (commensurate with skills and experience) + benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Research Director - Pharma / Healthcare Trace £80k to £110k depending on experience, South East England / London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), Londo...