CREATIVE STRATEGY: VW's Polo campaign goes from strength to strength
This film hit a nerve. Well, actually not "hit" so much as moved, tickled and embraced. This film being the latest TV commercial for VW Polo.
It couldn’t help but jangle my emotions, as yes, I’m a dad with a daughter (now grown up). And coincidentally, she sometimes drives the old family VW. It may be a Golf, not a Polo, but it is red!
Very simply, the film shows a series of scenarios showing a father’s care for his growing daughter. All beautifully and convincingly observed. At the end, he gives her the keys to a new Polo as she leaves home for university.
‘Stay in safe hands’ says VW and I’m not arguing. This latest execution of the ‘Small but tough’ strategy is founded on solid product, brand and consumer truths.
You might recall the multi-award-winning print ad of the American cops crouching behind a Polo instead of the police black-and-white (shot by the hugely talented Paul Murphy). It deserved all its gongs.
However, I prefer the ‘Dad’ idea because it’s so emotionally rich and rewarding. And of course, TV is often, though not always, better at delivering this than print. Beautifully produced narrative, acting and music exploit the old goggle box’s advantages over other media.
Certainly this ad will be hard to follow. VW and their agency deserve every success with this campaign. Now, if you’ll excuse me, I might have to watch the ad again to catch my favourite bit - when the dad lends his jumper to the daughter. *Reviewer wells up.*
Simon S Kershaw is a creative consultant and a former creative director at Craik Jones
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Lead Designer (Print, Agency, Conceptual, Typography, ATL, BTL) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £50000 per annum, London
- Paid Social Manager - Leading Media Agency - Biddable Media Ultimate Asset £28000 - £36000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Freelance Planner - FMCG, Pitches & Government Business Speckled Frog £250-£300 daily rate, possibly negotiable, dependent on experience, Central London
- Brand and Marketing Manager sipsmith Up to £30,000 = Benefits (including gin!), Chiswick. London