England v Sweden peaks with 16.2m audience
England's dramatic 3-2 victory over Sweden on Friday night hit a peak audience of 16.2 million viewers on BBC One, the biggest audience for the Uefa Euro 2012 tournament so far, according to unofficial overnight figures.
Euro 2012: Gary Lineker and fellow members of the BBC reporting team
Kick off was delayed by around 15 minutes but from the time the game was supposed to start (7.45pm) until it rounded off around 9.45pm BBC One and BBC One HD had an average of 13.27 million viewers.
The year's most-watched TV programme, the Queen's Diamond Jubilee Concert earlier this month, also on BBC One, peaked at 16.9 million and averaged 14.7 million.
England's previous game against France, shown on ITV1 last Monday (11 June), pulled in a peak of 15.3 million viewers and an average of 12.3 million.
Over the course of the BBC coverage from 7pm until 10.15pm on Friday night, BBC One and BBC One HD had an average audience of 10.96 million viewers, a whopping 45.1% share of the TV-watching audience.
‘Lewis’ had an average of 1.74 million viewers, a 7.4% share, between 9pm and 11pm on ITV1 and ITV1 HD. In addition, 148,400 people watched ‘Lewis’ on ITV1 +1.
Earlier on Friday evening, the coverage of the game between Ukraine and France on ITV had an average of 4.27 million viewers, a 26.6% share, across ITV1 and ITV1 HD. An additional 14,000 watched the footage on ITV1 +1.
The second live eviction in this series of 'Big Brother' on Friday night had an average audience of 1.5 million viewers, a 7.3% share of the TV watching audience. An additional 73,100 watched the eviction an hour later on Channel 5 +1.
BBC One also dominated Saturday night viewing with coverage of the Czech Republic against Poland game, which had 5.73 million viewers between 7.15pm and 10pm, a 26.4% share.
An episode of 'Agatha Christie’s Poirot’ at 8pm on Saturday had an average audience of 2.06 million viewers, a 9.3% share, across ITV1 and ITV1 HD. An additional 157,800 watched the show on ITV1 +1.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Business Development Director - Design Branding and Integrated - London Spectrum £70,000 - £90,000, London
- Middleweight Graphic Designer become £28-35K, Central London
- Account Manager Ball & Hoolahan £38,000 + benefits, London
- Senior UX/IA Mobile Designer - 3 Month Contract - London Network Career Consultants £300 - £350 per day, London