Game, set and match to BBC One as Murray's defeat delivers 16.9 million viewers
BBC One's coverage of Andy Murray's four-set defeat at the hands of Roger Federer in the Wimbledon men's tennis final peaked at 16.9 million yesterday, while ITV's new reality show made a disappointing debut, according to unofficial overnight figures.
Wimbledon: BBC One coverage of men's final peaked at 15.8 million viewers
The five-minute peak figure was the highest audience for a Wimbledon final since at least 1990, according to the BBC.
Between the match starting at 2pm and Federer clinching victory at 6.15pm, BBC One and BBC One HD had an impressive average audience of 13.19 million viewers.
Over the BBC’s entire coverage of the men’s final BBC One and BBC One HD got an average audience of 11.45 million viewers between 1pm and 6.45pm, a 58.0% share of the audience.
Sunday’s episode of the new ITV reality competition ‘Superstar’ got an audience of 3.11 million viewers, a 13.1% share, across ITV1 and ITV1 HD between 8pm and 9pm. An additional 164,700 viewers watched the show on ITV1 +1.
BBC One also dominated Sunday night viewing with the highest audience of any channel from 8pm through until 12.15am, with a range of programmes including ‘Antiques Roadshow’, ‘Wallander’ and ‘John Bishop’s Britain’.
‘Superstar’, a search for someone to play the lead role of Andrew Lloyd Weber's rock opera 'Jesus Christ Superstar', got an opening audience of 3.05 million across ITV1 and ITV1 HD between 7.30pm and 8.30pm on Saturday night, a 14.9% share.
An additional average of 171,600 viewers watched ‘Superstar’ on ITV1 +1.
‘Superstar’ was beaten by the classic Indiana Jones film ‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’ on BBC One. Between 6.30pm and 8.15pm BBC One and BBC One HD had an average audience of 4.47 million viewers, a 23.1% share.
‘The National Lottery: Secret Fortune’ programme beat the last 15 minutes of ‘Superstar’ and went on to have an average audience of 4.08 million viewers between 8.15pm and 9.15pm, a 19.1% share.
Follow Maisie McCabe on Twitter @MaisieMcCabe
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1