ITV's Superstar struggles to match X Factor ratings
'Superstar', Andrew Lloyd Webber's search for the lead in a revival of his 'Jesus Christ Superstar' musical, peaked at a lowly 3.3 million viewers on ITV on Saturday night, according to unofficial overnight figures.
Superstar: judges Jason Donovan, Melanie C and David Grindrod
The show averaged 3.0 million viewers across ITV1 and ITV1 HD, enough to give it a 15.4% share of viewing on a night when none of the main channels picked up a sizeable audience.
The Littlewoods-sponsored series opened last Saturday with an average 3.05 million audience, a 14.9% share of viewing, and its second episode the following day managed 3.11 million.
Ratings are well short of the 10 million-plus audiences regularly achieved by Simon Cowell’s talent contests ‘The X Factor’, which returns in the autumn, and ‘Britain’s Got Talent’.
The night’s biggest audiences went to BBC One for ‘Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom’ (4.4 million viewers) and ‘The National Lottery: Secret Fortune’ (4.3 million viewers).
On Friday night, the latest live eviction from Channel Five’s ‘Big Brother’ mustered 1.5 million viewers and a 7.2% share of viewing.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Midweight Creative Team - digital and direct The Industry Club London Ltd £35,000, Central London
- Marketing Analyst JV Recruitment £30000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Benefits, Halifax
- Midweight Designer Pitch Consultants £25000 - £30000 per annum, West Midlands
- Senior Art Director Pitch Consultants £35000 - £45000 per annum + benefits, Warwickshire