ITV's Superstar struggles to match X Factor ratings
'Superstar', Andrew Lloyd Webber's search for the lead in a revival of his 'Jesus Christ Superstar' musical, peaked at a lowly 3.3 million viewers on ITV on Saturday night, according to unofficial overnight figures.
Superstar: judges Jason Donovan, Melanie C and David Grindrod
The show averaged 3.0 million viewers across ITV1 and ITV1 HD, enough to give it a 15.4% share of viewing on a night when none of the main channels picked up a sizeable audience.
The Littlewoods-sponsored series opened last Saturday with an average 3.05 million audience, a 14.9% share of viewing, and its second episode the following day managed 3.11 million.
Ratings are well short of the 10 million-plus audiences regularly achieved by Simon Cowell’s talent contests ‘The X Factor’, which returns in the autumn, and ‘Britain’s Got Talent’.
The night’s biggest audiences went to BBC One for ‘Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom’ (4.4 million viewers) and ‘The National Lottery: Secret Fortune’ (4.3 million viewers).
On Friday night, the latest live eviction from Channel Five’s ‘Big Brother’ mustered 1.5 million viewers and a 7.2% share of viewing.
Follow Daniel Farey-Jones on Twitter @danfareyjones
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London