Channel 4 ditches gay portal plans
Channel 4 has ditched its plans for an internet portal aimed at the gay community, because of a lack of resources.
LONDON (Brand Republic) - Channel 4 has ditched its plans for an internet portal aimed at the gay community, because of a lack of resources.
The broadcaster had planned to launch the portal this summer, but this has now been put on hold for the “immediate future”. Channel 4 was behind the hit gay drama Queer as Folk, which was recently sold to the US.
The gay community is a potentially lucrative market. The US portal Gay.com, which recently raised £15m in funding, says that its audience has an income twice that of the national average and that gay people are known to be well-educated and long-time internet users.
Channel 4 says that has put the gay portal on hold while it “prioritises its investments”. It recently announced a £100m investment in E4 -- a digital TV channel devoted to entertainment –- and several new film channels, as well as continuing to fund its existing loss-making movie channel FilmFour.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Executive air recruitment Up to £22K (dependent on experience) plus benefits and bonuses, Central London