How EA's Battlefield topped the 2013 Social Brands 100
Electronic Arts' popular 'Battlefield' game has been named the top social brand in 2013 by Social Brands 100. Simon Stokes, director of communities, reveals how the brand got to the top.
Stokes explains the huge shift in attitude the brand has undergone while exploring opportunities across social networks and forums, which helped it top the headstream SB100.
"The [gaming] community has a tremendous amount to offer, they are full of enthusiasm, full of suggestions and can help us to push things forward," he said.
Simon said that in the 'Battlefield 3' cycle, it is the social channels where the game has exploded.
He said: "That's where the fans are doing their engagement, We want to be part of the conversation. Trying to stimulate that as much a possible."
Video is a huge part of what EA does in social media and it is a big part about why it has been successful over the past 12 months.
With fans producing their own video content based on in-game action, EA launched the 'Only in Battlefield' (OIB ) challenge to encourage that activity. It asked fans to produce videos that summed up moments that could only be found in the game. It received more than 1,200 entries.
Stokes said: "We realised we wanted to be part of that activity and we have done all we can to encourage users to create this content and share these OIB moments."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Freelance Account Manager? We need you now! Exciting accounts and excellent rates up to £170 a day. Barker Graves Up to £170/day, central London