Fairphone eco-handset hits target of 5,000 pre-orders
Fairphone, the Amsterdam based social enterprise behind the scheme to build and distribute an ethically built smartphone, has reached its pre-sale target of 5,000 orders and will begin distribution in Europe this autumn.
Fairphone: hits pre-sales target
The pre-order campaign to fund the production of the company's first handset began on 21 May. The phone will cost €350 and feature dual-sim capability and a rootable operating system, which will enable users to choose their preferred service.
Conflict-free minerals, including tin and coltan from selected areas within the Democratic Republic of Congo, will be used in the phone's production.
The first batch will be made in a factory in China, where the company intends to set up a fund to improve worker’s wages and conditions and encourage discussions with employers.
In a statement, Fairphone said it will provide transparency about its bill of materials, its costs breakdown and its first-tier suppliers.
Bas van Abel, Fairphone’s founder and chief executive officer, said: "It disturbed me that no one in the world truly understands how a mobile phone is made and when you don’t understand how something is made, you can’t change it.
"With Fairphone I want to offer buyers this choice, while raising the bar for the industry. By buying this phone, you join a movement to change the way things are made"
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Head of Advertising Operations (Ad Ops) - AGENCY Harnham £40000 - £60000 per annum + Bonus & excellent benefits, West End
- Account Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £26000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Account Director Stopgap £55000 - £57000 per annum, London