Pigeons gear up for live tweet over Europe
Perfect Fools, the digital creative agency, has enlisted four pigeons to "tweet" their in-flight experiences, to promote Fogg's "borderless" internet access card, which can be used across Europe at a flat rate.
Fogg: enlists racing pigeons for Sim card promotion
Each bird has their own Twitter account, which will document their journeys as they fly across Denmark, Germany, Belgium and The Netherlands.
The pigeons' specially-designed 28g backpacks will carry a Fogg Sim card connected to a GSM database which will activate the tweets. The pack will also hold a GPS tracking device to follow the birds' routes.
Tweets can also be sent to the birds via foggmobile.com/tweet.
John Harmander, director at Fogg Mobile, said: "The homing pigeon’s disregard for national boundaries and track record carrying important information makes them the perfect choice for this exciting experiment.
"Participants can become involved in the experiment and see their Tweet released when their chosen carrier reaches a specified country, without leaving their couch."
"There was also a part of us that simply wanted to see if it was possible to ’put pigeons online’ across Europe."
A University pigeon research unit in Münich has worked with Perfect Fools to ensure the birds carry the technology safely.
Patrick Garder, chief executive officer, Perfect Fools, said: "Marrying 19th and 21st century message delivery systems was technically challenging, but we all agreed from the start it was necessary for authenticity; we really wanted to make sure the pigeons were able to tweet as far as it was possible."
An online video of the birds’ training is also available to view on YouTube.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- Freelance Account Managers / Senior Account Managers, £NEG Fill Recruitment Ltd Negotiable, London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £58,000 per annum, London
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £70,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London