European tobacco advertising ban overturned
The European Court of Justice has overturned the European Commission ban on tobacco advertising.
LONDON (Brand Republic) – The European Court of Justice has overturned the European Commission ban on tobacco advertising.
In July 1998, the EU adopted laws which would have phased out almost all tobacco advertising and sponsorship by 2006. Billboard and cinema ads were due to disappear in 2001.
The overturning of the ban comes following strong lobbying from Germany and a number of tobacco manufacturers, including Imperial Tobacco Group and British American Tobacco.
European Court of Justice said the laws were illegal on the grounds that backing from all member states was not sought.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Online Editorial Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £30000 - £35000 per annum + benefits, London
- Client Services Director Dot-Gap £55k, Central London