European tobacco advertising ban overturned
The European Court of Justice has overturned the European Commission ban on tobacco advertising.
LONDON (Brand Republic) – The European Court of Justice has overturned the European Commission ban on tobacco advertising.
In July 1998, the EU adopted laws which would have phased out almost all tobacco advertising and sponsorship by 2006. Billboard and cinema ads were due to disappear in 2001.
The overturning of the ban comes following strong lobbying from Germany and a number of tobacco manufacturers, including Imperial Tobacco Group and British American Tobacco.
European Court of Justice said the laws were illegal on the grounds that backing from all member states was not sought.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Marketing Manager - Ardington Ltd Ball & Hoolahan £Competitive Salary Package, South East
- Brand Activation Manager Ball & Hoolahan £36,000 + Car/Car Allowance, South East
- Marketing Manager - Inbound Tourism - Dubai Based MCG Associates Tax Free Competitive Package, Dubai, UAE
- Senior Account Manager - Saudi Arabia - PR MCG Associates Tax Free Package, Riyadh. KSA
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London