European tobacco advertising ban overturned
The European Court of Justice has overturned the European Commission ban on tobacco advertising.
LONDON (Brand Republic) – The European Court of Justice has overturned the European Commission ban on tobacco advertising.
In July 1998, the EU adopted laws which would have phased out almost all tobacco advertising and sponsorship by 2006. Billboard and cinema ads were due to disappear in 2001.
The overturning of the ban comes following strong lobbying from Germany and a number of tobacco manufacturers, including Imperial Tobacco Group and British American Tobacco.
European Court of Justice said the laws were illegal on the grounds that backing from all member states was not sought.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Senior Mobile Manager Ultimate Asset £35000 - £50000 per annum + excellent benefits, City of London
- International Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £50,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Senior Data Planner - Superb Agency - Soho - up to £50k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £50k + great benefits, Soho, London
- E-Commerce Manager Stopgap £45000 per annum, South East England
- Freelance Account Managers / Senior Account Managers, £NEG Fill Recruitment Ltd Negotiable, London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £58,000 per annum, London