SmithKline Beecham buys Sensodyne maker for £840m
SmithKline Beecham looks set to become the second-largest toothpaste manufacturer in the world with its £840m acquisition of US company Block Drug, which makes the Sensodyne brand.
LONDON (Brand Republic) – SmithKline Beecham looks set to become the second-largest toothpaste manufacturer in the world with its £840m acquisition of US company Block Drug, which makes the Sensodyne brand.
The move is been seen as an indication that the UK drugs giant will strengthen its oral healthcare arm in readiness to be spun off as a separate division later. It comes as the company finalises its merger with Glaxo Wellcome, which will value it at $180bn. Buying Block Drug is unlikely to affect the merger.
Block Drug also makes denture-care products for consumers and professionals, over-the-counter medicines and health and beauty products.
Sensodyne spent around £5m on advertising in the UK last year.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Media - Client Director Ball & Hoolahan £44,000 per annum, London
- Interim Customer Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London