SmithKline Beecham buys Sensodyne maker for £840m
SmithKline Beecham looks set to become the second-largest toothpaste manufacturer in the world with its £840m acquisition of US company Block Drug, which makes the Sensodyne brand.
LONDON (Brand Republic) – SmithKline Beecham looks set to become the second-largest toothpaste manufacturer in the world with its £840m acquisition of US company Block Drug, which makes the Sensodyne brand.
The move is been seen as an indication that the UK drugs giant will strengthen its oral healthcare arm in readiness to be spun off as a separate division later. It comes as the company finalises its merger with Glaxo Wellcome, which will value it at $180bn. Buying Block Drug is unlikely to affect the merger.
Block Drug also makes denture-care products for consumers and professionals, over-the-counter medicines and health and beauty products.
Sensodyne spent around £5m on advertising in the UK last year.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Ecommerce and Online Marketing Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £Competitive salary + senior package. , London
- Account Director Dot-Gap £45k, Central London
- Digital Strategist Dot-Gap £50k, Central London
- Decision Sciences Analyst Dot-Gap £35k, London
- Digital Media Manager Dot-Gap £35k, Central London
- Head of Display Dot-Gap £75k, Central London