SmithKline Beecham buys Sensodyne maker for £840m
SmithKline Beecham looks set to become the second-largest toothpaste manufacturer in the world with its £840m acquisition of US company Block Drug, which makes the Sensodyne brand.
LONDON (Brand Republic) – SmithKline Beecham looks set to become the second-largest toothpaste manufacturer in the world with its £840m acquisition of US company Block Drug, which makes the Sensodyne brand.
The move is been seen as an indication that the UK drugs giant will strengthen its oral healthcare arm in readiness to be spun off as a separate division later. It comes as the company finalises its merger with Glaxo Wellcome, which will value it at $180bn. Buying Block Drug is unlikely to affect the merger.
Block Drug also makes denture-care products for consumers and professionals, over-the-counter medicines and health and beauty products.
Sensodyne spent around £5m on advertising in the UK last year.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Market Researcher Ball & Hoolahan £35,000 per annum, South East
- Communications Executive Brand Recruitment £30000 per annum + plus benefits, Milton Keynes
- Digital Content Specialist Harvey Nash £30000 - £35000 per annum + Package, Lichfield
- Brand Guardian/Artwork Manager Network Career Consultants £26000 - £28000 per annum, London
- Marketing Executive - 6 month contract Brand Recruitment £25000 per annum + plus benefits , Colchester