3 great ads I had nothing to do with: Caitlin Ryan
Caitlin Ryan, outgoing ECD Proximity and incoming Group ECD of Karmarama, chooses three great TV ads she admires but had nothing to do with, for the latest installment of our series in association with Thinkbox.
Caitlin Ryan: incoming group ECD of Karmarama
"When you’ve got a great TV ad it does the viral work for you," said Ryan. "You don’t make a viral ad, you create a compelling piece of film that goes viral because it touches people’s hearts; people want to talk about it; people want to exchange and share it." This is the common theme between her chosen campaigns, produced for an airline, a retailer and NGO.
The first is "face" by Saatchi & Saatchi for British Airways, a huge-scale, pre-CGI production shot from above as actors in coloured outfits move towards each other to form a face in the sand. "You move from this aerial view down to the intimate, with people joining together and starting to connect. It was mould breaking at the time. "
Adam and Eve created "more than a woman" for John Lewis, which follows the life of a woman from toddler to grandmother and concludes with the brand’s "lifelong commitment to you" tagline, and is described by Ryan as a love letter between a brand and a consumer. "For a retail ad it’s extraordinary that the products are props and not the hero. It makes people want to share it and fall in love with the brand though that expression."
Ryan’s final choice is a 1998 ad by Delaney Fletcher Bozell. "It starts with [celebrities] saying these names and you think ‘are these names I should know? What are they?’ And then the penny drops – it’s their teachers."
This TV recruitment ad was crated for the Teacher Training Agency to get more people teaching. "The reason it works so well is you don’t forget a good teacher, we all had that one person who makes the difference."
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Mid Weight UX Designer Daniel Marks London 40k, Central London
- Senior UX Architect Daniel Marks London 65k, Central London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER - Consumer Brands! Royds Raphael £35k-£40k / £150-£220+ day rate depending on experience, Central London
- Integrated Account Manager air recruitment Up to £30K dependent on experience, Central London
- Digital Intelligence Manager air recruitment Up to £50K dependent on experience, Central London
- Senior Planner (Brand Engagement) air recruitment Up to £70K dependent on experience, Central London