Wagon Wheel and Jammy Dodger bought by US VC firm
A US venture capital firm has snapped up the UK manufacturer of the Wagon Wheel and Jammy Dodger biscuit brands, Burtons Biscuits.
LONDON (Brand Republic) – A US venture capital firm has snapped up the UK manufacturer of the Wagon Wheel and Jammy Dodger biscuit brands, Burtons Biscuits.
Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst teamed up with the company’s managing director to buy it from parent group Associated British Foods for an undisclosed sum.
The move comes as the UK biscuit market continues to consolidate. Although Burtons is the market leader in childrens’ brands and strong in supermarket own-label products, it lacked the clout it needed to develop its long-term position in the global biscuit sector.
Hicks, Muse attempted to buy the snackfood arm of United Biscuits last year, but was thwarted by regulatory issues. It already owns Hillsdown Holdings, the UK food group which was broken up in 1999, and includes brands such as Typhoo Tea and Buxted Chicken.
Associated British Foods has been selling off various companies including industrial margarine manufacturers Rowallan Creameries and Anglia Oil. It also owns the Twinings tea and Allinson bread brands.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Media - Client Director Ball & Hoolahan £44,000 per annum, London
- Interim Customer Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London