3 great ads Gerry Human had nothing to do with
Gerry Human, chief creative officer at Ogilvy & Mather London, shares three ads he admires but had nothing to do with, in the latest in Brand Republic's 3 Great Ads series, in association with Thinkbox.
"There’s a proliferation of film in the world right now, so it’s more important than ever before to create film that lives above what’s out there in the world." Human chooses three ads that he thinks do just that, in the latest in our series with Thinkbox
His choices begin with an ad for a mobile phone that's presented in a "magical, mysterious and different way", like he’d never seen before. "Dance", created for Orange by Mother, shows a typical domestic scene slowly turn in to an emotional ballet by the two characters. It’s the score, by Brian Eno, that helps distinguish this ad for Human: "each bell is perfectly synchronised with a very interesting and captivating movement. It keeps reminding you to look again."
Music is also core to Human’s second choice, where it is used in a "cheeky, ironic way". In Harvey Nichols’ "Walk of shame, by DDB UK (now adam&eve DDB), Cat Stevens’ Morning has Broken is the soundtrack to women making their way home the morning after the night before, giving the ad "a lovely sense of humour".
In contrast, Human’s final ad is marked by its simplicity. "Mum" for John Smith’s was created by Trevor Beattie and Paul Silburn, then at TBWA\London, and stars comedian Peter Kay trying to evict his mother from her own home. It’s the quality of scriptwriting and simple observation that proves for Human that "great advertising isn’t in any way formulaic."
See Human's choices and past 3 Great Ads here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Campaign Marketing Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Business Development Manager EMAP Competitive + Bonus, London (Greater) / London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater)
- Digital Acquisition Manager - Leading Online Biz GoodEgg Digital £70k + Bonus and Benefits, United Kingdom / England / North West England / Lancashire / Manchester, Greater Manchester
- Search Marketing Manager - International Markets Search Laboratory £24,000 - £30,000 per annum + benefits , Yorkshire and the Humber / North Yorkshire / West Yorkshire / Harrogate, North Yorkshire / Leeds,...
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £Excellent Salary Package , South East England / London (Greater)
- Marketing Communications Senior Manager Lloyd's of London Competitive salary and benefits package , London (City of), London (Greater)