Alli and Evans in talks to buy the Daily Star
Lord Waheed Alli is understood to be in discussions with TV and radio presenter Chris Evans about forming a consortium to buy the Daily Star, one of the titles being sold by United News & Media as part of the sell-off of Express Newspapers.
LONDON (Brand Republic) – Lord Waheed Alli is understood to be in discussions with TV and radio presenter Chris Evans about forming a consortium to buy the Daily Star, one of the titles being sold by United News & Media as part of the sell-off of Express Newspapers.
It emerged yesterday that the Labour peer was quitting ITV broadcaster Carlton Communications, where he was head of production, to spend more time on his production company Castaway Productions and on politics in the run-up to the next general election.
Lord Alli and Evans are expected to be joined by Matthew Freud, chief of PR company Freud Communications, in their bid for the tabloid paper. The consortium is thought to be interested in revamping the Daily Star as a celebrity and gossip paper.
However, a bid for the Daily Star would depend on whether United firms up a sale of the remaining Express Newspaper assets, comprising the Daily Express and the Sunday Express.
The Daily Mail & General Trust and Indian conglomerate Hinduja are said to be leading the bidding for the group. Both bidders are expected to want to dispose of the Daily Star if they are successful.
Also in the running is the Hollinger Group, owner of The Daily Telegraph and a consortium led by former Mirror Group chief executive, David Montgomery. Hollinger and United jointly own the West Ferry Printing business.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- French Speaking Graphic designer | Corporate communications - Global Healthcare Brand Aquent Competitive day rate, Hertfordshire
- Client Services Director - Full-Service Digital Agency Silverdrum to £55,000 + benefits, London
- Account Manager - Post Campaign Management - Ad Ops Ultimate Asset £25000 - £35000 per annum + bonus, London
- Regional HR Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £40000 - £45000 per annum + package , Leeds