Starbucks pulls a profit despite internet losses
US coffee bar chain Starbucks saw profits climb 35% in its fourth quarter, but lost almost half the cash on bombing internet investments.
LONDON (Brand Republic) – US coffee bar chain Starbucks saw profits climb 35% in its fourth quarter, but lost almost half the cash on bombing internet investments.
The Seattle-based company said the $43.8m profits for the quarter were hit by losses from failing internet ventures. In August, it was forced to write off $20m from its stake in failed online furniture retailer Living.com.
Chief executive officer Orin Smith pledged to focus on the retail business and said the company had only achieved about a third of its market potential.
“Our success outside the USA has been much greater and come much earlier than we ever expected. We have also developed a sense of urgency now that others are copying us,” he said.
He added that revenues would increase up to 30% in the next year, with 1,100 new stores opening during the period.
Revenues for the quarter were $582m, up from $475m for the same period last year.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, Central London