Internet raises awareness of No Buying Day
The internet is said to have increased international awareness of No Buying Day in spite of US television networks’ refusals to carry advertisements promoting the event.
LONDON (Brand Republic) – The internet is said to have increased international awareness of No Buying Day in spite of US television networks’ refusals to carry advertisements promoting the event.
No Buying Day takes place in the US today -– the day after Thanksgiving and traditionally the biggest shopping day of the year –- and is scheduled in the UK and Europe for tomorrow, the last Saturday in November.
The aim of the event, started in the US in 1993, is to discourage people from spending on non-essential consumer goods.
The event was first publicised on the internet in 1995 and since then it has developed into a global event. It was held in 30 countries in 1999, rising to 45 this year.
Founder Kalle Lasn, who also founded the Vancouver-based magazine Adbusters, hoped to reach consumers by advertising on major US TV networks.
However, he found stations were reluctant to carry the commercials. “The day is in opposition to the current economic policy of the United States”, a CBS spokesperson told Adbusters.
Ads was eventually shown on CNN after the network was threatened by an embarrassing story in the Wall Street Journal.
The ad copy states, “The average North American consumes five times more than a Mexican, 10 times more than a Chinese person and 30 times more than a person from India.
“We are the most voracious consumers in the world. Give it a rest. November 24 is Buy Nothing Day.”
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Group Account Director - Maternity cover (9-12 months) Stopgap £60000 - £65000 per annum, London