Talk Sport owner to acquire stake in Dutch radio operator
The Wireless Group, owner of UK national radio station Talk Sport, is in talks to acquire a 33% stake in Dutch radio operator Delta Radio, which has a licence to broadcast to the UK from The Netherlands.
LONDON (Brand Republic) – The Wireless Group, owner of UK national radio station Talk Sport, is in talks to acquire a 33% stake in Dutch radio operator Delta Radio, which has a licence to broadcast to the UK from The Netherlands.
The deal would result in an easy listening radio station with musical content to rival that of BBC Radio 2. TWG would manage the station’s programming and airtime sales in exchange for 33% stake in Delta Radio.
The station will be broadcast from off the coast of Zeeland in the Netherlands. It will have twin radio masts capable of reaching an estimated 40m people in the UK with the exception of Northern Ireland, parts of Cornwall and west Wales.
Kelvin MacKenzie, chairman of TWG, said, “Radio 2 has gone very young and disfranchised millions of older listeners. We want to cash in on that.”
He added that commercial radio was also “failing to meet the needs of the over-45s”.
The new station will be branded 171 The Lounge Bar and will play melodic songs of the last 40 years. It will focus on artists such as Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Simply Red and The Carpenters.
It is set to launch in spring 2002.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Business Development Manager Pure360 £20,000 - £25,000 depending on experience. £45k OTE uncapped, Brighton
- Comms Planning Manager PFJ £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London