Talk Sport owner to acquire stake in Dutch radio operator
The Wireless Group, owner of UK national radio station Talk Sport, is in talks to acquire a 33% stake in Dutch radio operator Delta Radio, which has a licence to broadcast to the UK from The Netherlands.
LONDON (Brand Republic) – The Wireless Group, owner of UK national radio station Talk Sport, is in talks to acquire a 33% stake in Dutch radio operator Delta Radio, which has a licence to broadcast to the UK from The Netherlands.
The deal would result in an easy listening radio station with musical content to rival that of BBC Radio 2. TWG would manage the station’s programming and airtime sales in exchange for 33% stake in Delta Radio.
The station will be broadcast from off the coast of Zeeland in the Netherlands. It will have twin radio masts capable of reaching an estimated 40m people in the UK with the exception of Northern Ireland, parts of Cornwall and west Wales.
Kelvin MacKenzie, chairman of TWG, said, “Radio 2 has gone very young and disfranchised millions of older listeners. We want to cash in on that.”
He added that commercial radio was also “failing to meet the needs of the over-45s”.
The new station will be branded 171 The Lounge Bar and will play melodic songs of the last 40 years. It will focus on artists such as Frank Sinatra, Nat King Cole, Dean Martin, Simply Red and The Carpenters.
It is set to launch in spring 2002.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Paid Search Manager ( PPC ) - Leading Search Specialist Group Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Digital Web Designer: Fashion, Web, Email, Tablet, Mobile, HTML Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Lead Graphic Designer (Print, Publishing, Fashion, Lifestyle) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Media Manager- BOUTIQUE agency- £40K! Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Sales Manager- Dynamic Video, digital & Mobile Business Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + amazing commission, London
- Account Director PFJ £40000 - £50000 per annum, London