Coke to rely on word-of-mouth and viral marketing for new drink
Coca-Cola is relying on word of mouth and viral marketing to drive demand for its new Burn energy drink in a move away from its usual high-profile new product marketing and advertising.
LONDON (Brand Republic) – Coca-Cola is relying on word of mouth and viral marketing to drive demand for its new Burn energy drink in a move away from its usual high-profile new product marketing and advertising.
The drink, which launched this week, was developed to give the US soft drinks giant a chunk of the fast-growing energy market and create a viable competitor for rivals such as Red Bull.
However, it was only available in certain London bars this week in order to create a buzz of insider knowledge, according to the company’s marketers.
Coke even refused to name the bars and its first soft drink launch since 1993 went largely unnoticed. It will not be sold in supermarkets or corner shops, adding to its allure and prestige for the younger, leisure-orientated consumer.
It is all part of a strategy developed in response to research done by Coke, which showed that exploiting the brand’s mystery and word of mouth would be the best way of grabbing share from Red Bull.
A spokesman said, “We want people to discover Burn, enjoy it and tell their friends. What’s the point of spending money on an ad campaign if you don’t have to?”
Chairman and chief executive Douglas Daft wants to use the internet to build the brand.
“He wants to do things differently, to find new ways of selling our drinks,” the spokesman added.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Digital Project Manager / eCommerce Manager - client side. Search Party 30-40k + benefits, Berkshire