Office of Fair Trading launches BSkyB inquiry
The Office of Fair Trading has launched a full-scale competition enquiry into the prices UK satellite broadcaster BSkyB is charging rivals to carry its premium pay-TV channels on their platforms following a change in legislation in March.
LONDON (Brand Republic) – The Office of Fair Trading has launched a full-scale competition enquiry into the prices UK satellite broadcaster BSkyB is charging rivals to carry its premium pay-TV channels on their platforms following a change in legislation in March.
The new legislation allows firms to be investigated under the Competition Act, which attempts to prevent firms from gaining a monopoly in their markets.
BSkyB has a dominant position in the programming market particularly with its sports and movie channels. The investigation, which has been requested by rival digital broadcaster ONdigital, will determine whether the News Corporation-owned broadcaster is abusing this position.
If it is found to be in breach of the Act it could be fined up to 10% of its UK turnover since March -– when the Act came into force.
Carlton and Granada joint venture ONdigital claims that the wholesale price it pays to offer Sky channels on its platform are too close to subscriber retail prices. This, it says, leaves it little room to make any profits from the sale.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Client Account Manager Content is King c. £25k per annum dependent on experience, SW1