US ad industry struggles to regain form
The $5bn a year advertising industry could take months to regain its former buoyancy following the six-month strike by actors over payments.
LONDON (Brand Republic) – The $5bn a year advertising industry could take months to regain its former buoyancy following the six-month strike by actors over payments.
The Screen Actors Guild and the American Federation of Television and Radio Artists strike was the longest ever against the ad industry and came to an end in October.
Under a compromise thrashed out by unions and commercials producers, actor union members will keep their current entitlement to royalties earned for terrestrial-aired ads, but will receive a flat fee for those shown on cable channels.
Although famous names such as Donald Sutherland and James Earl Jones are now returning to work, providing voice-overs and appearances in ads, some fear it will take a while for industry to recover.
President of the Association of Independent Commercial Producers Matt Miller said advertisers who had made ads away from the US may continue to do so, spurred on by lower production cost and increasing professionalism of overseas companies.
Vice president of the National Association of Advertisers Daniel Jaffe added: “We have no way of telling when things will return to normal. Sometimes relationships are shot.”
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Director Direct Recruitment £45,000, Central London