Scottish Radio in merger talks
Scottish Radio Holdings has confirmed that it is in talks with a potential buyer, widely believed to include Scottish Media Group.
LONDON (Brand Republic) - Scottish Radio Holdings has confirmed that it is in talks with a potential buyer, widely believed to include Scottish Media Group.
Shares in Scottish Radio Holdings, which owns Radio Clyde and newspapers in Scotland and Northern Ireland, jumped 6.6% to 1,710p yesterday following the revelations.
Other bidders are believed to be the UK’s biggest radio broadcaster Capital Radio, and GWR. Clear Channel International, the US radio, entertainment and outdoor advertising group, is also considering a bid.
Scottish Media Group already owns 20.8% of Scottish Radio after a dawn raid earlier this month. A merger of the two companies could meet with regulatory disapproval as SMG owns the ITV franchises Scottish and Grampian and, under existing regulations, would not be allowed to own radio stations in these broadcasting regions.
Under the government’s new communications white paper, however, Granada and Carlton would be free to buy SMG’s ITV franchises.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Media Business Director PFJ £70000.00 - £90000 per annum, London
- PERFORMANCE PLANNING DIRECTOR - MOBILE BRAND! Ultimate Asset £45000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits, London
- Mid Weight Graphic Designer - Consumer agency JEFFERSON £28-35k plus benefits, SE Surrey
- Category Insight Manager - 12 mths contract Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£56K + Benefits + Generous Bonus, Herts/North of London
- Senior Digital Delivery Manager Harvey Nash £55000 per annum + package, Nottingham