Scottish Radio in merger talks
Scottish Radio Holdings has confirmed that it is in talks with a potential buyer, widely believed to include Scottish Media Group.
LONDON (Brand Republic) - Scottish Radio Holdings has confirmed that it is in talks with a potential buyer, widely believed to include Scottish Media Group.
Shares in Scottish Radio Holdings, which owns Radio Clyde and newspapers in Scotland and Northern Ireland, jumped 6.6% to 1,710p yesterday following the revelations.
Other bidders are believed to be the UK’s biggest radio broadcaster Capital Radio, and GWR. Clear Channel International, the US radio, entertainment and outdoor advertising group, is also considering a bid.
Scottish Media Group already owns 20.8% of Scottish Radio after a dawn raid earlier this month. A merger of the two companies could meet with regulatory disapproval as SMG owns the ITV franchises Scottish and Grampian and, under existing regulations, would not be allowed to own radio stations in these broadcasting regions.
Under the government’s new communications white paper, however, Granada and Carlton would be free to buy SMG’s ITV franchises.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London
- Marketing & PR Executive Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment To £23,500, West Sussex