Scottish Radio in merger talks
Scottish Radio Holdings has confirmed that it is in talks with a potential buyer, widely believed to include Scottish Media Group.
LONDON (Brand Republic) - Scottish Radio Holdings has confirmed that it is in talks with a potential buyer, widely believed to include Scottish Media Group.
Shares in Scottish Radio Holdings, which owns Radio Clyde and newspapers in Scotland and Northern Ireland, jumped 6.6% to 1,710p yesterday following the revelations.
Other bidders are believed to be the UK’s biggest radio broadcaster Capital Radio, and GWR. Clear Channel International, the US radio, entertainment and outdoor advertising group, is also considering a bid.
Scottish Media Group already owns 20.8% of Scottish Radio after a dawn raid earlier this month. A merger of the two companies could meet with regulatory disapproval as SMG owns the ITV franchises Scottish and Grampian and, under existing regulations, would not be allowed to own radio stations in these broadcasting regions.
Under the government’s new communications white paper, however, Granada and Carlton would be free to buy SMG’s ITV franchises.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Digital Advertising Manager - High End Lifestyle Ultimate Asset £43000 - £50000 per annum + commission & excellent benefits, London
- Media Exec - Leading Media Agency - Mobile Sector Ultimate Asset £22000 - £26000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Biddable Paid Social Senior Executive - Top 10 Agency Ultimate Asset £25000 - £30000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Account handler ready for an immediate start? Freelance, Contract or Temp to Perm? Barker Graves Up to £250/day, central london
- Are you a Freelance AM, SAM or AD in a UK creative agency? We need you! Day rates £150 - £250 a day! Barker Graves Up to £250/day, Central London
- Freelance Account Manager? We need you now! Exciting accounts and excellent rates up to £170 a day. Barker Graves Up to £170/day, central London