Belgium slams UK block on Interbrew takeover of Bass
A diplomatic row is set to break following an attack by the Belgian government on the UK’s ruling to block Interbrew’s £2.3bn takeover of Bass Brewers.
LONDON (Brand Republic) - A diplomatic row is set to break following an attack by the Belgian government on the UK’s ruling to block Interbrew’s £2.3bn takeover of Bass Brewers.
The UK’s Competition Commission’s decision was “prejudicial” and blocked the expansion of a Belgian company while favouring UK firm Scottish & Newcastle, according to Charles Picque, Belgium’s economics minister. He has raised the issue with EC competition commissioner Mario Monti.
A spokesman for trade secretary Stephen Buyers hit back, saying a merger of Bass with Interbrew would reduce competition.
The decision has sent Interbrew’s share price down 27%.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Content Marketing and SEO Manager Lynda Up to £40,000, Central London
- Partnership Manager Movember Competitive, Clerkenwell, London (Greater)
- Head of Digital Operations Macmillan Cancer Support £50,000 - £55,000 +Benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Digital Delivery Manager Cancer Research UK £35000 per annum + + excellent benefits, London
- BTL AGENCY ACCOUNT HANDLERS - integrated, shopper, sales promotion, retail, digital Judi Patton £22K-£55K, London (Central), London (Greater) / London (East), London (Greater) / London (North), London (Gr...
- Senior Account Manager The Great & The Good £35000 - £40000 per annum + great benefits , London