Belgium slams UK block on Interbrew takeover of Bass
A diplomatic row is set to break following an attack by the Belgian government on the UK’s ruling to block Interbrew’s £2.3bn takeover of Bass Brewers.
LONDON (Brand Republic) - A diplomatic row is set to break following an attack by the Belgian government on the UK’s ruling to block Interbrew’s £2.3bn takeover of Bass Brewers.
The UK’s Competition Commission’s decision was “prejudicial” and blocked the expansion of a Belgian company while favouring UK firm Scottish & Newcastle, according to Charles Picque, Belgium’s economics minister. He has raised the issue with EC competition commissioner Mario Monti.
A spokesman for trade secretary Stephen Buyers hit back, saying a merger of Bass with Interbrew would reduce competition.
The decision has sent Interbrew’s share price down 27%.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Senior Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Account Manager - Leading App Company - Ad Operations Ultimate Asset £25000 - £35000 per annum + bonus, London
- Group Account Director and Business Director air recruitment Up to £75k dependent on experience, Central London
- Digital Planner Direct Recruitment £50,000 - £55,000, London
- Senior CRM Planner Direct Recruitment £80,000 - £95,000, Central London