Belgium slams UK block on Interbrew takeover of Bass
A diplomatic row is set to break following an attack by the Belgian government on the UK’s ruling to block Interbrew’s £2.3bn takeover of Bass Brewers.
LONDON (Brand Republic) - A diplomatic row is set to break following an attack by the Belgian government on the UK’s ruling to block Interbrew’s £2.3bn takeover of Bass Brewers.
The UK’s Competition Commission’s decision was “prejudicial” and blocked the expansion of a Belgian company while favouring UK firm Scottish & Newcastle, according to Charles Picque, Belgium’s economics minister. He has raised the issue with EC competition commissioner Mario Monti.
A spokesman for trade secretary Stephen Buyers hit back, saying a merger of Bass with Interbrew would reduce competition.
The decision has sent Interbrew’s share price down 27%.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Marketing and Communications Alexandra Palace Trading £40,000 + bonus + benefits, London (Greater)
- ACCOUNT DIRECTORS - Integrated/ATL/TTL/BTL/SP/Shopper/Retail - London - up to £45k Judi Patton £40k-£45k plus excellent benefits, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Head of Engagement Planning (UK) BespokeHR £80,000 - £85,000, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Senior Account Manager Ice (London) Ltd Competitive Salary dependent on experience, Windsor, Berkshire
- Interim Head of Brand The Rank Group To attract the right person!, Maidenhead, Berkshire
- PR Manager Fashion & Retail Personnel Consultancy £35000 - £40000 per annum + benefits, London