Coca-Cola grabs global sponsorship for Harry Potter
Soft drinks giant Coca-Cola has been named global sponsor of Warner Bros’ highly anticipated children’s film Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, in a deal reportedly worth $150m (£104.3m).
LONDON (Brand Republic) - Soft drinks giant Coca-Cola has been named global sponsor of Warner Bros’ highly anticipated children’s film Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, in a deal reportedly worth $150m (£104.3m).
The move is seen as part of the soft drink manufacturer’s strategy to revive flagging sales. Coca-Cola, along with rival PepsiCo, saw case sales increase by just 0.1% last year.
Under the terms of the deal, Coca-Cola becomes the sole marketing partner for the film, which will be released on November 16. As part of the deal, the drinks brand will pay for a literacy campaign and a significant chunk of the film’s advertising.
It will rely on branded packaging and in-store promotions because JK Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, is against over-commercialising the story. Coca-Cola will forego using product placement in the film and campaigns coordinated with fast-food chains.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Account Director - Top London Advertising Agency c£50k Fill Recruitment Ltd c£50k, Central London
- Digital Senior Account Manager Twist Recruitment £30000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, London
- Head of Marketing Blemain Group Competitive plus bonus and benefits, North West
- Digital Marketing Analyst Better Placed Recruitment £45000 - £55000 per annum, East London
- Global Head of Studio and Production Creative Recruitment £65000 - £80000 per annum + Pro Rata, City of London
- Senior Digital Executive Stopgap £32000 per annum, City of London