Coca-Cola grabs global sponsorship for Harry Potter
Soft drinks giant Coca-Cola has been named global sponsor of Warner Bros’ highly anticipated children’s film Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, in a deal reportedly worth $150m (£104.3m).
LONDON (Brand Republic) - Soft drinks giant Coca-Cola has been named global sponsor of Warner Bros’ highly anticipated children’s film Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, in a deal reportedly worth $150m (£104.3m).
The move is seen as part of the soft drink manufacturer’s strategy to revive flagging sales. Coca-Cola, along with rival PepsiCo, saw case sales increase by just 0.1% last year.
Under the terms of the deal, Coca-Cola becomes the sole marketing partner for the film, which will be released on November 16. As part of the deal, the drinks brand will pay for a literacy campaign and a significant chunk of the film’s advertising.
It will rely on branded packaging and in-store promotions because JK Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, is against over-commercialising the story. Coca-Cola will forego using product placement in the film and campaigns coordinated with fast-food chains.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Junior Account Director / Account Director - Fabulous Global Agency - Central London - to £47k Fill Recruitment Ltd to £47k, Central London
- business director > TOP LONDON AGENCY > ATL collectivo Up to £90,000 + great benefits, London
- ACCOUNT MANAGER | Integrated Agency | Confectionery | up to £30k Judi Patton up to £30k, London
- ACCOUNT DIRECTOR - Creative London Agency - MOBILE/Social Media - £40-47k Judi Patton £40-47k, London
- Account Executive AF Selection £17,000 - £21,000, Birmingham
- Brand Identity Consultant - freelance The Great & The Good Negotiable day rate, West London - Teddington