Coca-Cola grabs global sponsorship for Harry Potter
Soft drinks giant Coca-Cola has been named global sponsor of Warner Bros’ highly anticipated children’s film Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, in a deal reportedly worth $150m (£104.3m).
LONDON (Brand Republic) - Soft drinks giant Coca-Cola has been named global sponsor of Warner Bros’ highly anticipated children’s film Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, in a deal reportedly worth $150m (£104.3m).
The move is seen as part of the soft drink manufacturer’s strategy to revive flagging sales. Coca-Cola, along with rival PepsiCo, saw case sales increase by just 0.1% last year.
Under the terms of the deal, Coca-Cola becomes the sole marketing partner for the film, which will be released on November 16. As part of the deal, the drinks brand will pay for a literacy campaign and a significant chunk of the film’s advertising.
It will rely on branded packaging and in-store promotions because JK Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, is against over-commercialising the story. Coca-Cola will forego using product placement in the film and campaigns coordinated with fast-food chains.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire