Coca-Cola grabs global sponsorship for Harry Potter
Soft drinks giant Coca-Cola has been named global sponsor of Warner Bros’ highly anticipated children’s film Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, in a deal reportedly worth $150m (£104.3m).
LONDON (Brand Republic) - Soft drinks giant Coca-Cola has been named global sponsor of Warner Bros’ highly anticipated children’s film Harry Potter and the Philosopher’s Stone, in a deal reportedly worth $150m (£104.3m).
The move is seen as part of the soft drink manufacturer’s strategy to revive flagging sales. Coca-Cola, along with rival PepsiCo, saw case sales increase by just 0.1% last year.
Under the terms of the deal, Coca-Cola becomes the sole marketing partner for the film, which will be released on November 16. As part of the deal, the drinks brand will pay for a literacy campaign and a significant chunk of the film’s advertising.
It will rely on branded packaging and in-store promotions because JK Rowling, the author of the Harry Potter books, is against over-commercialising the story. Coca-Cola will forego using product placement in the film and campaigns coordinated with fast-food chains.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Head of CRM/Customer Experience - 8/9 month Contract ADLIB Competitive + Benefits, Devon
- Digital Executive - Fluent French & Dutch Barclay Meade £200 - £250 per day, Berkshire
- SEO Consultant The Little Black Book Agency £20000 - £25000 per annum, Greater Manchester
- Interactive / Digital Designer The Little Black Book Agency £25000 - £35000 per annum, Greater Manchester
- Digital Account Executive The Little Black Book Agency £16000 - £18000 per annum, Lancashire