Electronics Boutique saves BarrysWorld
Computer games retailer Electronics Boutique has bought BarrysWorld.com, the UK gaming site that went into voluntary liquidation last month, for £400,000.
LONDON (Brand Republic) - Computer games retailer Electronics Boutique has bought BarrysWorld.com, the UK gaming site that went into voluntary liquidation last month, for £400,000.
Electronics Boutique UK said it would promote the site through its 300-store retail chain and its two existing websites.
BarrysWorld ceased operations on February 5, after its original investor, venture capital firm 3i, refused to invest in a second round of funding. By April 2000, 3i had invested £3m in the company.
The site was launched in 1998 and was originally run by hobbyists. It claimed that 300,000 gaming enthusiasts logged on regularly to the service and it was in the process of setting up a fee-paying system when it ran out of money. It is understood that Electronics Boutique will now run a fee-paying service on the site.
The sale is the latest in a growing trend for established high-street retailers to snap up failing dotcoms. On February 5, the retail group the John Lewis Partnership bought online retailer Buy.com for an undisclosed amount.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- Account Executive air recruitment Up to £22K (dependent on experience) plus benefits and bonuses, Central London