Adidas moves from sponsor to co-owner of Bayern Munich
German sports clothing manufacturer Adidas is seeking to extend its interest in its sponsorship of Bayern Munich, finalists in the UEFA European Cup, by buying a 10% stake in the Bavarian football club.
The news follows the decision by the team's management earlier this week to turn the club into a joint stock company by the end of the year. Club vice-president Fritz Scherer said it was not considering a stock market listing but would sell a 10% stake to a strategic partner.
Team manager Uli Hoeness recently estimated the club was worth as much as Manchester United, which has a market capitalisation of £466m.
Last year, Adidas changed its sponsoring strategy to concentrate on a few high-ranking clubs. These include Real Madrid, Ajax Amsterdam and German and French national leagues.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- SHOPPER MARKETING ACCOUNT HANDLERS - London agencies - £38k-55k (perm & freelance) Judi Patton £28-£55k- plus bonus and benefits, London
- head of new business > #1 DIGITAL & CONTENT AGENCY collectivo £60k-£80k plus agency bens, Central London
- Account Director Ball & Hoolahan £55,000 per annum, London
- Senior Account Manager - [Retail / Digital] - Superb agency! £35k - £39k Fill Recruitment Ltd £35k - £39k + bonus & benefits, Central London
- Marketing Manager - FMCG - London or Home counties Stonor £45,000 - £55,000 dependent on experience , London, Essex, Bucks or Oxon
- Creative Director The Marketing Practice Up to £120k dependant on experience , East Hendred, near to Didcot in Oxfordshire