Adidas moves from sponsor to co-owner of Bayern Munich
German sports clothing manufacturer Adidas is seeking to extend its interest in its sponsorship of Bayern Munich, finalists in the UEFA European Cup, by buying a 10% stake in the Bavarian football club.
The news follows the decision by the team's management earlier this week to turn the club into a joint stock company by the end of the year. Club vice-president Fritz Scherer said it was not considering a stock market listing but would sell a 10% stake to a strategic partner.
Team manager Uli Hoeness recently estimated the club was worth as much as Manchester United, which has a market capitalisation of £466m.
Last year, Adidas changed its sponsoring strategy to concentrate on a few high-ranking clubs. These include Real Madrid, Ajax Amsterdam and German and French national leagues.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Account Director AF Selection £35,000 - £38,000 plus car, Birmingham
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Director Ball & Hoolahan £75,000 + CA + benefits, London