Publicis reports 78% rise in first-quarter billings
LONDON - Shares in Publicis were down slightly this morning as the world's fifth-largest advertising group posted a record 78.3% rise in first-quarter billings.
Total billings were 3.6bn (£2.2bn) up from 2bn (£1.2bn) in 2000 and included contributions most notably from Saatchi & Saatchi and Nelson Communications. Comparable billings, excluding contributions from recent acquisitions, climbed 8.2% to 2.2bn (£1.3bn).
The company said its best performance had come from North America, where it saw billings increase to 49.5% from 40.8% during the first quarter of 2000. In Europe, revenues slid from 48% to 38%.
The group showed a slight growth in the Asia Pacific region and Latin American business grew 1% to contribute 4.8% of worldwide revenues.
The group picked up more than 800m (£494.7m) in new business during the quarter, after Publicis Worldwide won a raft of new business including Siemens, Iomega, ATA Airlines and Lens Express accounts in the US and Korea Telecom and Renault Samsung in Korea.
Saatchi & Saatchi scooped the Sudameris Bank pitch in Brazil and Fallon Worldwide picked up United Airlines and the Defence Ministry in the UK.
This morning, Publicis shares fell 3% to 35.8 (£22.14) at 11am (BST) on the Paris Bourse.
Publicis also owns media planning and buying agency Optimedia; marketing communications firm Triangle; marketing business Frankel & Company; and ethnic communications and youth target marketing and PR firm Burrell Communications.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Head of Lead Generation - Full-Service Agency Silverdrum to £60,000 + benefits, London
- Brand Manager Ball & Hoolahan £42,000 + Car/Car Allowance, Midlands
- Analytics Manager Ball & Hoolahan £58,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Account Executive Adam Recruitment £18000 - £23000 per annum + Bonus + Benefits, Liverpool