WH Smith in talks to buy Octopus
LONDON - WH Smith is considering buying the publisher and TV production company Octopus Group for a reported £90m.
The retailer has held talks with Octopus, which was owned by Reed until 1998 when it was the subject of a £33m management buyout. The MBO was supported by venture capital firm Kleinwort Benson Development Capital, which at the time said it would stay with the company for three for years.
WH Smith has been looking for acquisitions to add to its Hodder Headline publishing arm for some time. Octopus, which publishes The Joy of Sex, is also understood to have held talks with US private investment firm Hicks, Muse, Tate & Furst.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Commercial Head of Branded Content-Established Digital Business Ultimate Asset £65000 - £76000 per annum + bonus and huge benefits , London
- PPC Senior Executive - Big Brand - PPC Ultimate Asset £23000 - £28000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Graphic Designer:(Fashion,Retail,Conceptual,Print, Digital) Creative Recruitment £23000 - £30000 per annum, London
- Paid Media Account Manager - Paid Search PPC - Agency Leader Ultimate Asset £28000 - £38000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- PR Senior Account Manager Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £26000 - £33000 per annum, Manchester
- Biddable Paid Social Manager - Paid Media - FMCG Client Ultimate Asset £30000 - £40000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London