Guinness drinkers will wait for faster pint
LONDON - Good things come to those who wait, and it appears that Guinness drinkers will have to keep on waiting, as the brewer has denied reports that new technology is on the way that will cut the pouring time to as little as 15 seconds.
Although the technology is in the development stage, Guinness has made no plans to develop it any further.
A spokeswoman said: "We are always looking into ideas. The innovations team are working with the idea, but there are not even plans to test it yet."
However, the new technology could help increase Guinness's share in the flagging beer market. It would no longer take one minute 59 seconds to "pull the perfect pint" -- a very attractive prospect for thirsty drinkers.
The possibility of a faster pint comes as Guinness launches its new TV advertising campaign. It depicts a hurling player stepping up to take the most important shot of his life.
The commercial, which debuted in the UK and Ireland last Saturday, is part of the new "believe" theme. It replaces the previous "live life" campaign.
Hurling is considered the fastest game on land and the new campaign is a deliberate departure from the "waiting" theme, which will tie in neatly with the new pump technology, if and when it is available
Guinness sales are sliding, however the brand's owner, Diageo is showing strong growth thanks largely to its spirits and ready-to-drink products. Turnover in its premium drinks division was up 10% to £4.5bn at the end of last year.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Paid Search Manager ( PPC ) - Leading Search Specialist Group Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Digital Web Designer: Fashion, Web, Email, Tablet, Mobile, HTML Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Lead Graphic Designer (Print, Publishing, Fashion, Lifestyle) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Media Manager- BOUTIQUE agency- £40K! Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Sales Manager- Dynamic Video, digital & Mobile Business Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + amazing commission, London
- Account Director PFJ £40000 - £50000 per annum, London