Vivendi sells Havas stake to fund acquisition
LONDON - French media giant Vivendi Universal is selling its 9.9% stake in Havas Advertising to help finance its $1.8bn ($1.3bn) acquisition of US educational publisher Houghton Mifflin.
The Havas stake is expected to fetch $384m (£235.3m) and will be sold in part to institutional investors with the remainder going to Havas itself.
The cash from the sale of the French advertising group will be added to the proceeds of the sale of Exposium, Vivendi's trade fair and professional business in France and its local free newspaper group Bonjour.
Shares in Havas climbed slightly this morning 15.68 (£9.61) in Paris while Vivendi's share price dropped 1% to 74.90 (£45.90).
Havas is the world's fourth-largest advertising business -- it owns the Euro RSCG Worldwide network, Media Planning and Snyder Communications.
The line-up of potential buyers for Vivendi's professional and free magazine business is expected include Reed Elsevier, Pearson and Wolters Kluwer.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Web Designer / Front-End Designer / Digital Creative Guru Careers £35 - 50k DOE, Based in Angel, London (WC1)
- Senior Graphic Designer (retail) Beyond The Book £DOE, Northampton
- Events and Marketing assistant Under The Bridge £25,000, Fulham, South west london