Visitors to travel sites swell in Europe
LONDON - European visitors to travel websites have increased by almost 4m over the last six months, according to the latest figures from internet research firm Jupiter MMXI.
In the six months from November 2000 to April 2001, the number of visitors increased by nearly 1m in each of the three biggest markets -- France, Germany and the UK. More than 4m UK users visited travel sites in the last six months.
Europeans visit travel sites not only to find cheap deals, but to research their holidays in advance, according to Jupiter MMXI. In the UK and Germany, visits peak in July, January and February. In France, the peaks are in July and March.
During these peaks, visitors spend more time on travel sites than other popular categories such as retail and news and information sites. Travel sites have been popular with European home users since Jupiter began measuring internet behaviour in 1999.
In the UK, Easyjet.com, Britishairways.com, Railtrack.co.uk and Thetrainline.com are consistently in the top 10 travel sites, with Ebookers.com, Expedia.co.uk, Lastminute.com and Thomascook.co.uk also holding strong positions. Lastminute.com is the only site to appear in the top 10 in the UK, France, Germany, Spain, Italy and Sweden.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Head of CRM/Customer Experience - 8/9 month Contract ADLIB Competitive + Benefits, Devon
- Digital Executive - Fluent French & Dutch Barclay Meade £200 - £250 per day, Berkshire
- SEO Consultant The Little Black Book Agency £20000 - £25000 per annum, Greater Manchester
- Interactive / Digital Designer The Little Black Book Agency £25000 - £35000 per annum, Greater Manchester
- Digital Account Executive The Little Black Book Agency £16000 - £18000 per annum, Lancashire