'No FT no comment' and 'Let your fingers do the walking' join slogan hall of fame
LONDON - 'No FT, no comment' and Yellow Pages' 'Let your fingers do the walking' are among the latest slogans to join the Advertising Slogan Hall of Fame.
The 27 new additions brings the total to 83 slogans. At the top of the list of new additions is KFC's "Finger lickin' good", followed by Federal Express's "When it absolutely has to be there overnight" in second place. The Financial Times "No FT, no comment" comes in third place.
In fourth place is cosmetics and haircare brand L'Oreal's "Because I'm worth it" and in fifth is Yellow Pages' classic and memorable tagline, "Let your fingers do the walking".
In sixth place is BMW with "The ultimate driving machine" and in seventh is Braniff Airlines with "If you got it, flaunt it".
This is followed by "You'll wonder where the yellow went when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent". In ninth place is The New York Times' "All the news that's fit to print" and in 10th place is Club Med's "The antidote to civilisation".
The Advertising Slogan Hall of Fame was founded in 2000 by Timothy R Foster as a means of appreciating the value of the ad slogan. He also created a database of ad slogans called ADSlogans Unlimited.
Foster said: "The slogan remains the quintessence of the advertising proposition and is the factor by which many major advertising campaigns are won or lost. That's why we created the Advertising Slogan Hall of Fame. It provides some permanent acknowledgement of the great lines of all time."
The top 10 from the first Hall of Fame include slogans such as "Beanz meanz Heinz", "Happiness is a cigar called Hamlet", Nike's "Just do it" and The Independent's "It is, are you?".
The Hall of Fame has also identified the three most overused lines in advertising. They are: "the natural choice", which has been used in 60 ads; "it's about time", which has been used 45 times; and "simply the best", which has been used by 30 advertisers.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Mid Weight Graphic Designer - Consumer agency JEFFERSON £28-35k plus benefits, SE Surrey
- Category Insight Manager - 12 mths contract Tarsh Lazare Marketing Recruitment c.£50K-£56K + Benefits + Generous Bonus, Herts/North of London
- Senior Digital Delivery Manager Harvey Nash £55000 per annum + package, Nottingham
- Assistant Buyer - Global Tech Brand Aquent Up to £49,000 Dependent on Skills and experience, London
- Senior Digital Operations Manager Harvey Nash £50000 per annum + package, Nottingham