Yahoo! posts another loss but is positive on 2002
LONDON - Yahoo! saw losses increase over the last quarter, but the internet company says that its new business model is working and it has predicted strong growth over 2002.
Yahoo!'s net losses increased from $11m (£7.7m) for the first quarter of 2001 to $53m for the quarter ending March 31 2002. Revenues were up by 7% to $192.7m, compared with $180.2m for the same period last year.
Terry Semel, chairman and CEO of Yahoo!, attributed the performance, which beat analyst forecasts, to the transformation of the company's business model. Since he took the reins, Yahoo! has been seeking to move away from its reliance on advertising revenues.
The company has upped its forecasts for 2002. Yahoo! said it expects revenues for the second quarter of 2002 to be between $205m and $225m, and between $870m and $910m for the full year. Earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation and amortisation are expected to be between $23m and $33m for the second quarter and between $105m and $130m for the full year.
Semel said: "As we progress through the year, we are well positioned to maintain our growth and to achieve our goal of more than doubling Ebitda profitability in 2002 from 2001 levels."
Shares in Yahoo! closed yesterday at $18.44, down by two cents or 0.11%. Its results were released after the market closed. In after-hours trading, shares were priced at $18.01.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Retail Marketing Manager EMEA Callaway Golf Europe Ltd circa £50,000 pa plus benefits, based in Chessington, Surrey
- PowerPoint Designer PFJ £180 - £220 per day, London