Vivendi soars on second-quarter results
LONDON - Shares in Vivendi Universal rose more than 5% this morning to 63.20 (£38.60) as the French media giant posted stronger-than-expected second-quarter results helped by strong performances from its film and telecoms units.
During the three months to June 30, Vivendi said pro-forma revenues were 6.69bn (£4.1bn), up from 5.79bn (£3.5bn) last time. These figures assumed Vivendi had already acquired the Seagram business in the comparative period last year.
Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation rose to 1.3bn (£793.5m)
from 830m (£506.6m).
Vivendi's TV and film unit posted second-quarter Ebitda of 314m (£191.7m), up 84% from last time on revenues of 2.2bn (£1.3bn), an increase of 11% year on year.
Universal Studios, which Vivendi acquired as part of the Seagram drinks unit, saw Ebitda soar 193% to 169m (£103.2m) boosted by strong box office performances from The Mummy Returns, The Fast and the Furious and Jurassic Park III.
The telecoms unit saw revenues increase by 51% to 2bn (£1.2bn) and Ebitda grew 70% to 703m (£429.2m). The division's success was largely achieved because of a hike in subscriber numbers at its largest subsidiary Societe Francaise de Radiotelephone (SFR). The division added 640,000 customers bringing its total to 11.2m.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Global Insight Manager Ball & Hoolahan £60,000 plus Car/ Car Allowance, London
- Creative Project Assistant become £20K-£24K, London