Reed most likely to acquire Vivendi publishing arm
LONDON - Anglo-Dutch publisher Reed Elsevier has emerged as one of the frontrunners in the race to acquire Vivendi Universal's professional publishing business, which could fetch as much as £1.1bn.
Other potential bidders are believed to include Bertelsmann, VNU and private equity groups Apax, BC Partners and Cinven, which is currently in negotiations to sell IPC to AOL Time Warner.
Vivendi wants to sell the business as a complete unit. Analysts believe the portfolio, which includes construction and agricultural industry magazines, would best suit Reed's stable of business titles.
The bidders have had three weeks to submit their indicative bids to Vivendi before Thursday's deadline.
The sale of the business will help the French media and communications giant to finance its acquisition of US educational publisher Houghton Mifflin, which it is buying for £1.8bn. Vivendi is selling its free classified advertising publications for the same reason.
The titles being sold by Vivendi include: Property Week and The Builder, part of the Builder Group in the UK; and Le Moniteur, the largest construction industry weekly in France.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Paid Search Manager ( PPC ) - Leading Search Specialist Group Ultimate Asset £30000 - £35000 per annum + Amazing Benefits, London
- Digital Web Designer: Fashion, Web, Email, Tablet, Mobile, HTML Creative Recruitment £30000 - £35000 per annum, London
- Lead Graphic Designer (Print, Publishing, Fashion, Lifestyle) Creative Recruitment £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Media Manager- BOUTIQUE agency- £40K! Ultimate Asset £35000 - £40000 per annum, London
- Sales Manager- Dynamic Video, digital & Mobile Business Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + amazing commission, London
- Account Director PFJ £40000 - £50000 per annum, London