Skoda nets Connery for Octavia campaign
LONDON - The Czech car manufacturer Skoda has offered former James Bond star Sean Connery £1m to star in an advertising campaign promoting its new Octavia car.
The campaign would likely further the rehabilitation of the car, once the butt of many automotive jokes.
Connery, who is said to have accepted the offer, will be filmed driving the Octavia through the Scottish Highlands.
He will park the car at the Eilean Donan Castle near the Kyle of Lochalsh, MI6's Scottish headquarters in the last Bond movie The World is Not Enough, starring Pierce Brosnan.
Connery will emerge from the car wearing a kilt.
Skoda confirmed that the creative idea, which was developed by Grey Global in Spain, was presented to Skoda marketing directors across Europe last month, and has been accepted by Skoda for a TV campaign set to run in Spain.
However, filming has been postponed while Connery works on a Hollywood movie, which was offered to him after he had accepted the campaign.
Skoda, which is owned by Volkswagen, is handled in the UK by Fallon, which has won a number of plaudits for its work.
Fallon's campaign for the Fabia marque was widely seen to help reinvent the brand as a serious contender in the automotive market, and was Campaign's Campaign of the Year for 2000.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Marketing Manager Ball & Hoolahan £68,000 + Car/Car Allowance, London
- Join the flagship Agency team at Blue Skies, Richmond Blue Skies Marketing Recruitment £20000 - £40000 per annum, Benefits: Excellent bonus + benefits, London (Greater) / London (South), London (Greater) / London (West), London (Greater)
- Account Executive Stopgap £25000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Junior Account Manager collectivo Up to £26,000 per annum, London (Greater)
- Head of Data Analytics - Top Publisher Digital Gurus £90000 - £120000 Per Annum, London (Central), London (Greater)
- Mid-weight project manager Red Sofa London £35000.00 - £40000 per annum, London (Central), London (Greater)