OgilvyInteractive unveils SMS campaign
SINGAPORE - OgilvyInteractive has unveiled an SMS campaign for Damon Albarn's virtual band Gorillaz to foster a closer relationship with its fans.
Gorillaz took the world by storm using cool digital animation and music that is a mix of rock, hip-hop and Latin beats.
With the SMS campaign, created by OgilvyInteractive, fans in Singapore will be able to take a step closer to the band by having a virtual dialogue with the members via SMS.
Fans who wish to correspond with any of their favourite Gorillaz members -- 2-D, Murdoc, Noodle and Russel -- can simply subscribe to a designated number via SMS and the individual members will correspond with them. These subscribers will also get free and exclusive picture messages, quizzes and rewards when they get their friends to sign up through the viral component.
"The key objective was to see if SMS can deepen the relationship between Gorillaz and their fans. Judging by the sort of virtual dialogues we're seeing during this campaign, the objective has been achieved. Another encouraging point: when asked if they would buy the album soon, 46% of subscribers who replied said yes," Graham Kelly, regional creative director of OgilvyInteractive Asia Pacific, said.
The campaign uses radio and postcards to get subscribers to opt in to ensure that it remains totally permission-based to avoid SMS spamming.
"SMS is ideal for Gorillaz. They're a cool, hip band and a bit 'underground' so the last thing you want to do is to be too mainstream," Valerie Lim, managing director of EMI Singapore, said.
To see the campaign in action check out the demo here
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Business Development Executive Bullfrog Digital LTD Up to £30k + Commission and benifits, Shoreditch
- Head of Strategy, Insight & External Relations London & Partners COMPETITIVE + PRP + BENEFITS, London Bridge
- Senior Account Manager Hot Cow Between £32,000 - £35,000 with discretionary bonuses., Near Chiswick Business Park, a fun and vibrant location to work with events, a lake and bars.
- Project Manager - Integrated / Digital - Superb London Agency Fill Recruitment Ltd £40k - £50k plus bonus and superb benefits!, Central London
- Account Director - Digital B2B Marketing Agency ADLIB competitive, Oxford
- Business Development Director - Boutique Integrated Agency - Central London - £55-65k + bonus Fill Recruitment Ltd to £65k + bonus scheme, Central London