Hawken leaves Skoda UK for Volkswagen Asia Pacific role
LONDON - Chris Hawken, marketing director of Skoda UK, is to join parent company Volkswagen where he will head up marketing for VW and Seat in Asia Pacific.
The Singepore-based post, which is the most senior marketing position in the region, covers all countries in Asia Pacific except Japan. Hawken is due to start in early August.
Volkswagen and Seat are marketed separately in Asia Pacific.
In the UK, Hawken will be replaced by Mary Newcombe. Newcombe, whose current role is product marketing manager, has been working in the marketing department since November last year.
Hawken took over marketing for Skoda in 1999, eight years after Volkswagen bought the brand from the Czech government and began building the cars to Volkswagen's more exacting standards.
He is credited with turning around Skoda's image from being the punchline in gags about its low quality to a popular car.
He also oversaw the launch of the brand's humorous "It's a Skoda, honest" advertising, created by Fallon.
If you have an opinion on this or any other issue raised on Brand Republic, join the debate in the Forum here.
Latest jobs Jobs web feed
- Vice President Marketing Communications Direct Recruitment £75,000 - £79,000, London
- Account Director - Integrated - [Digital / Promotions] - Dynamic agency! to £49k Fill Recruitment Ltd £45k - £49k + superb bonus & benefits, Central London
- Senior Research Executive Jarlett de Grouchy £28000.00 - £35000.00 per annum, Berkshire
- Senior Associate Director- tech & media Elizabeth Norman International £4500 - £65000 per annum, London
- Client Services Account Manager - Ad Operations Ultimate Asset £35000 - £45000 per annum + bonus, London
- Director/ Associate Director, Consumer Research Jarlett de Grouchy £45000.00 - £55000.00 per annum + car allowance, bonus, London